Tuesday, October 11, 2011

August 18th, 2011- Great Nuchal Measurement

My appointment for the NT scan was scheduled for 10:45am. We, as usual, arrived 10 minutes late but were taken back rather quickly. This u/s we were taken to the back room which has a TV there positioned for the mama-to-be to see very easily. Immediately I could see that the baby had grown much bigger since the last scan. I could clearly see it's arms & legs. A couple seconds later I saw the heart beating away. Phew! At one point the tech held the transducer still and we watched the baby jumping around. It was so cute. It kept arching it's back to bounce up off my uterus. I think this was the first time I really bonded with this baby. I must've been smiling from ear to ear. Before we were done I caught a glimpse of the NT measurement. It was 1.57 (mm I assume). Great! Anything below 3 is considered normal. Dr. Weiners assured us that everything looked good and that the baby was growing right on target for my February 19th due date. Again with that stinkin' due date! I asked him if he recommended cervical length checks. He said yes and said that we would start them at the 18 week anatomy scan. A little blood draw and then I scheduled my next two appointments. One for September 6th (blood draw) and the anatomy scan was scheduled for September 27th. So close yet so far away. Yesterday (Wednesday) I got a call from Patty the nurse with my results. My risk for Trisomy 18 was 1/10,000. Great! My risk for down syndrome was 1/140. No so great! This isn't a positive result but it is a much greater risk then most women my age get. Again it just gives me something to worry about. I'm hoping at the blood draw on the 6th I'll get more info and it will ease my mind a bit. For now I just pray for a healthy little Scooby Snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment