Tuesday, October 11, 2011

September 27, 2011- He or She? What will it bee?

It's taken me awhile but I finally have all of my blog posts transferred over from the other blog. I feel quite accomplished and yet so far behind. I still need to post some Alexa updates and the gender reveal pictures. I'm really going to try to keep up this go round. I feel like I'm already forgetting so much about this pregnancy and so many of the cute things Alexa is doing nowadays. My baby is getting big.

I had my level 2 anatomy scan on the 27th. The big kids were at school so Burt and I took Alexa with us. I know my tummy was full of butterflies but I don't remember all of the thoughts that were racing through my head. The ultrasound technician looked familiar and I think I saw her at my 1st perinatology appointment this pregnancy. She definitely remembered me. We were lead to a new ultrasound room. I can't remember exactly how long we were back there but it felt like awhile. I felt like she took her time and was very thorough. She started off measuring the baby's head. It felt like she stayed focused on the baby's head/brain for awhile. I started to get nervous. Is this it? Would this be when we got the bad news? Were there cysts in the brain? A million questions raced through my head. She finally moved on and Burt asked if everything checked out with the baby's head. She said "Yup!" and moved on. As the ultrasound progressed she loosened up a bit. Maybe we loosened up a bit. Who knows! I just know that we all started getting a little more chatty. She checked a few times trying to see if the baby would move into a better position for her to check his/her heart but the baby had it's back turned to us. She suggested I get up and empty my bladder and hopefully make him/her a bit uncomfortable. I went into the bathroom, peed, and jumped around. No lie! I did a few squats and a few jumping jacks. Anyone that reads this will probably think I'm crazy. I was determined to finish this ultrasound knowing that everything was okay with this little one and was even more determined to find out the gender. Sure enough when I laid back on the table we saw that he/she had turned. She started checking the baby's heart. 1,2,3,4 chambers. Good. She did all sorts of measuring and checking of different valves. At this point I felt confident in the baby's health and was getting antsy about the gender. She did a quick sweep by the goods and sure enough there was a WEINER!! Baby McCabe is a boy! A very well endowed boy. Burt was so excited about the size of his son's peanut that I thought for sure he was going to ask the tech to measure it. I must admit now looking at the ultrasound pictures that she printed out our little man seems to have a lot going on down there. I've studied the picture over and over. I've even put a little bit of doubt into my own head. Is his "pecker" really the umbilical cord? Did the tech make a mistake? I'm holding on to all of my baby boy purchase receipts just in case. The ultrasound ended pretty quickly after that. She did a quick cervical length check and it measured 3.7cm. We were overflowing with good news. A quick chat with Dr. W and he again reassured us that baby looked amazing. I scheduled my next cervical length check/growth scan for October 25th at 10:45. I definitely plan on asking the tech to double check the gender again. Something is not letting me accept that this munchkin is a boy. Lets hope that the sea of blue entering Alexa's closet is there for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment