Sunday, July 11, 2010

Drama is her middle name

Introducing Alexa Lynn Drama McCabe!! Hold your applause. This kid has turned into a monster. Starting on Friday July 9th I became a raging worry wart and she became a cranky miserable baby. I started noticing her rapid breathing again. I at first chalked it up to the hot weather at the pool the day before and tried to remain calm. When the weird breathing remained it took Burt about an hour of convincing to keep me from bringing her back to CHOP ER. I would've sworn she had the kids' cold and was going to be admitted again. Is it possible that maybe I have a bit of post traumatic stress syndrome from our stay at the NICU? I think so. But once Burt convinced me that she'd be okay I still had other things to worry about. Constipation. It's weird how parents become so obsessed with the frequency, color, and texture of their baby's poo. Maybe it's a parental instinct. Maybe it's just paranoia, but whatever it is, I got it! Alexa's poo has turned from a yellowish liquidy consistency to a green peanut buttery consistency. Not normal! Oh yea and she's down to going once a day now with lots of grunting and red angry faces in between. Poor baby looks so mad! Wrap that up with a bad case of reflux and upset tummy and put a bow on top and you have one unhappy, restless baby. She spent at least 3 hours awake this morning just fussing and refusing to be put down. Once I got her to sleep for a few hours I thought maybe she'd wake up in a happier mood. Wrong! I think she was even fussier then. I've begun to feel like the only time she's happy is when she's asleep. I still had one trick up my sleeve. Today Alexa had her first taste of "Little Tummy's Gas Relief Drops" and I think they're working. I gave her the minuscule dose earlier and after ten minutes of almost consistent crying she calmed down and dozed off. Now one could argue that she tired herself out from all that crying but I'm hoping and praying that it was the drops. If not I'm not quite sure how I'm going to make it through the next few months. The good news is that my biceps are getting a very good work out from holding her so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment