Monday, August 30, 2010

We've made it! We've crossed the finish line.

Time seems to be just flying by now that Alexa is getting better. Her cough is improving by the day. For awhile there it seemed to be getting worse and now I wonder if she didn't have a bit of a cold again to top it off. But now the mucousy cough is disappearing again and the coughing fits are very quick and for the most part relatively painless both physically for her and mentally for me. I'm kind of used to it by now. Most others are still scared to death everytime she coughs. Nana passed her right back to me the other day when she was holding Alexa and she started coughing. If she thought that was bad she would've never made it through the early stages of this pertusis. I haven't taken any anxiety meds in awhile. I feel very comfortable with her progress. On the 26th of August she had her "2 month" checkup. I say that in quotes because she was really 10 weeks. We had Dr. Ruben who isn't really my favorite doctor at the practice. She's quite short with her answers and always makes me feel rushed. I'm glad I went in armed with a list of written questions or she just might have rushed me out of there without being able to ask one. Alexa was weighed and came in at a whopping 10lbs 14oz. And she's now 22.5 inches long. By far the shortest of all my babies at this age I believe. Her teeny tiny head came in at 30th percentile and her weight and height came in somewhere around 40th percentile. Right on track my little peanut is. She was holding her head up well and very observant. The doctor was very pleased. I walked out of there one proud mommy. I feel so accomplished somedays having gone through everything that I have with her. I feel like we've been through so much together already and I've made it. I'm a survivor even though there were days when I thought I'd just throw up because of how anxious I was. I could've lost my baby, and some women have lost theirs to this sickness, but we beat it!! Everytime she coughs I'm awake. Everytime she coughs I am by her side. I struggled through just about forcing her to eat even though some days she'd only eat 11oz. I charted how much she ate everyday. I took countless trips to the doctors just to be sure she wasn't getting dehydrated. I watched her like hawk. And now it's all paying off. I have my baby alive and well. She's smiling, cooing, kicking, and playing. I'm finally getting to enjoy her the way I've been dying to.

Abby and Nathan start back to school on Wednesday. I'm excited to be home all alone with the baby and begin getting on some sort of routine. It's almost like closing a chapter in her book of life. She came home from the hospital on the kids' last day of school and now here we are starting the school year again. I'm looking forward to some Mommy and baby time. It's going to feel so weird just having one child to look after all day. I do have to say though that I will miss their help. All summer long they've been great go getters. And now Abby can even lift the baby and walk around holding her a bit. It's a great help when your arms hurt so badly from holding her for so long. I'm going to miss them but they need to get their brains a-workin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment