Monday, July 16, 2012

Potty Trained in 3 days?



Today Alexa turned 25 months. I think it's safe to say that I should stop counting her age in months from here on out, but for today's post I feel like it's necessary to point out that she JUST turned two! I've been toying around with the idea of potty training her for a bit. About two months ago I started brushing up on my potty training skills and debating on what reward system I wanted to use when I did bite the bullet. After messing around on the internet I took Alexa with me upstairs to take a shower. I usually don't do this but since pee pee was on my brain, I took her diaper off and told her to sit on her potty while I showered which she did very willingly. When I was done I checked the potty and there was no pee pee to be seen. I got dressed in my room and Alexa stayed in the bathroom. A few seconds go by and I hear the little pee pee jingle playing. Her potty is amazing and it plays a pretty catchy little jingle every time she pees in it. I thought for a second that maybe it was a fluke. Before I could walk to the bathroom she came walking into my room wiping herself with a towel. Boy this kid is observant...well, sort of. I wipe, but never with a towel. I digress. Yay! She did it! You would've thought she had graduated college or saved someone's life. Nope. Just pee. My heart swelled with pride. I immediately went to the store and bought a 3 pack of Gabba panties. That was a joke. She wet all three in a matter of two hours. Feeling a bit discouraged I vowed to wait until after her birthday. Fast forward two months to July 3rd. I was ready to try again. I knew we were going to be hanging around at home for a few days. I figured this would be a great time to bunker down and get'er done! I put Alexa in panties and every five minutes I asked her if she had to go potty. Occassionally she would say no but more often then not she would say yes and sit on the potty. There were a whole lot of false alarms but every once in awhile she actually went and what better to reward her with then popsicles?! She loved it...so much so that I'd often find her sitting on the potty pushing even when she didn't have to go. She even cried a few times when she couldn't push anything out. After going thru a few too many popsicles I changed up my tactic. Day two was filled with lots of mini m&m's. Every time she went pee pee she helped me count out 10 m&m's. Awesome! She was peeing like a pro. By the end of the day we had our first poopy in the potty too! Wooooo! Me and both big kids did lots of potty celebration dances that day. Now she's only in diapers at naptime and bedtime. She occassionally wakes up from naps dry but I'm not confident enough in her ability to hold it yet. We'll give that a little bit of time. I bought a pack of pull ups too and we use those when we're out in public just in case. I still tell her they're panties though so there's no confusing them with diaper. I'm just so proud of her! She is defintely the youngest of the kiddies to be potty trained AND the quickest!

No comments:

Post a Comment