Wednesday, February 3, 2010

To make a long story short...NOT!

I've been putting off typing this because I knew it would be a novel but now that it's time to type it I feel like I've already forgotten some things. Today us two days past the BIG u/s and my birthday. The day started off with a terrible bang. I woke up, got the kids ready for school and attempted to remote start the van to warm it up. As I looked out the window I noticed I had a flat tire. I woke Burt up and had him rush out to put air in the tire. Meanwhile the kids and I walked around the corner to catch Nate's bus. Burt met us on the corner with the van and we left to drop Abby off at school. I was already becoming a bundle of nerves but the kids excitement about the days events kept my nerves at bay. After we dropped off Abby Burt headed out to check the tire and finally ended up having to get a new one. I hopped in the shower and got ready. Soon Burt called me with the horrible news that his father had panceatic cancer (which his father fully denies). The day was not starting out good and that really got my nerves a-trembling! My appointment was for 10:30 but we headed out at 9:55 as to not be late. Little did I know that the office was running behind anyways. We got there at 10:15 and sat in the waiting room for 40 minutes. My fears had gotten ahold of me by this time and I felt myself shaking and I was needing to take deep breaths to catch my breath. I'm sure it was the beginning of a panic attack although I've never had one before. To save on time the nurse came to get me to draw my blood and by time we were done that the u/s tech was ready for us. It was the same tech we've had both times so I've become comfortable with her and she knows we're a nervous wreck and knows and understands why. We walked that long walk down to the u/s room and I hopped up on the table. Soon she was taking all kinds of measurements. I told her in advance about it being my birthday and about our cake surprise planned for later that day. We joked about all the pressure that put on her to get the gender. She first measured the head size. Good! The brain. Good! The spine. Good! We did slip up and ask if there were any cysts in the brain. No. Good! Then she measured the legs. Good! And pointed out the little feet. Then arms and hands. Both good! She even checked out the kidneys and the bladder. Another good! The baby was not cooperating enough to get a good shot of the heart though. She tried bumping my stomach with the u/s probe and even had me try rolling onto my left and right sides. Nothing seemed to move the little jitterbug. At one point the baby started to roll over but quickly rolled back. Stubborn little thing! I got up and used the bathroom thinking that might give it some room to roll over. Nothing. She finally gave up on that and told us Dr. Weiners would just have us come back soon to check it again. Before we left she took a quick peek at the "goods". She said, "I think it's a girl." I said, "How sure are you?" She said, "85% sure". Then I suggested maybe taking another peek in a few minutes before we were done with the u/s and she said okay. She checked a couple of other things and then looked back again and said, "Okay 90% sure." I was so happy that I didn't think to ask any of the obvious questions. I should have asked if she saw the three lines or just the lack of a "peanut". The lack of a peanut does not mean girl it could still be a boy with the goods tucked up. Or I could have even asked if the baby's legs were spread wide open or not. The good news is I get to go back on the 15th for another scan and I'll have her check again. Burt and I walked back to the office with the happy grin again. We dodged another bullet and couldn't have been happier. We met with Dr. Weiners who only confirmed the good news that all seemed to be well. I asked if they had seen any markers for down syndrome and he told me no. I asked about what some of the markers were and he just told me there were about 20 things they check for to identify any chromosomal issues and he told me that none were found. I was beaming with pride about my little girl. She is healthy and I couldn't wait to go shopping. We left the hospital and headed right for the Carter's outlet store. I really didn't have anyone I could call and tell the good news to because we had everyone coming over for the cake surprise later. I did however call Shannon and tell her. She was super excited. And the stress of not having a place to move into on the first of March was put on the back burner while we shopped. I walked into the store and I felt like a kid in a candy store. So many cute girlie things. I had been waiting for this day for ages. Finally I could buy pink stuff!!! We went a little crazy and came out with $146 worth of cuteness in the form of baby clothes. By this point Burt was starving and I figured I would spare him so we headed to Burger King. This in and of itself was a bit of torure because it it directly across the street from Babies R Us and we even sat in the window seat and I just impatiently ate my lunch and rushed Burt through his. Soon the torture was over and we headed out. When the doors to Babies R Us opened I swear it was like the gate to the heavens opening and I could hear the angels singing, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". We headed straight for all the gender specific things I've always wanted to buy. The pacifiers, the boppy slipcovers, the bibs, and finally made our way through the baby girl clothes and then over to the receiving blankets. The cart was getting fuller by the minute. Checkout time came and we walked out with a total of $165 worth of baby things. Nicole the cake lady had called and she was ready to meet us. Down City Line Avenue we drove and finally made it. The cake was adorable and worth every penny. It was getting closer to the time when we had to pick up the kids so we headed home. Burt dropped me off at home and then he headed out alone to buy me something for my birthday. He was so thoughful that day! My mom came to the apartment so that we could pick up Abby and Nate. Earlier in the day she had been pestering me to tell her what the gender was and I didn't crack but now I was so excited to show someone all the cute things we had bought that I spilled the beans. She walked into my room where I had all the clothes laid out of the bed and she squeeled with excitement. She had wanted a baby girl. Shorlty after we went through all the clothes we left to pick up Abby and even took a drive by the house Burt and I were considering renting. She liked it and I grew a bit more attached to it. We then picked up Nate from the bus stop and headed back to the apartment to wait for everyone's arrival at 6:30. The kids asked me a million times to tell them what the baby's gender was and I did a good job of keeping the secret. I would only reveal to them that the baby was healthy. Burt soon came home and gave me my presents. He was so thoughtful. He went to Kelly's Candies and bought a pink "It's a girl!" cigar, a "congrats! It's a girl cookie!", and a Minnie Mouse "It's a girl!" balloon unblown up. He knows how much I like to find little keepsakes and everything he bought he bought on that premis, that I could use it as a keepsake. Very sweet! Finally it was time and people starting arriving. First Rose and Imena, then Cindy, Joe, Ebby, and Michael. Then Linda and Makayla. And finally my mom, nana, Frankie, Amanda, and Juan. When everyone was there and ready we explained how the cake cutting would work. I was going to turn out the lights, cut two pieces of cake (one for Abby and one for Nate) and when I was done we would turn on the lights and everyone could open their eyes. After doing so we flipped on the light switch and watched everyone's reactions. I was most interested in Abby's reaction since she had so badly wanted a baby girl and I'll never forget how she acted. She screamed so loudly that her face turned red and you could see her neck veins popping out. She held her hands out in excitement. Then I checked on Nathan and he just had a smile from ear to ear. Everyone else's reaction is a bit of a blur but I heard lots of "I knew it's!" We all scarfed down our cake and milk and chatted about the new baby girl. I of course brought up the bags of clothes that we had bought earlier in the day and showed them all off. The kids all ran off to play and everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves. I was just happy to know we had a very healthy little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment