Monday, December 28, 2009

Made it to a step we never passed last time

Today was my 14 week midwives appointment. The excitement was overseen by a dark gloomy cloud that seemed to have me worried about the appointment. It was at my 16 week appointment with the girls that I brought Abby and Nathan to try and hear the heartbeat. I was so sure we'd hear it that I felt no fear about bringing them. Needless to say we didn't hear it and that's when we were sent for the disasterous ultrasound. So today I was a bit worried. Burt and the kids all came with me. I have to say it was a tight squeeze in that room but so worth it. It started out with a weight gain of negative one. YAY! I've felt so hungry lately that I thought for sure I had gained a few. Then onto my blood pressure which I believe was 120/82. Much better then last time. Then into the room for a chat with Amy. We talked about my trisomy 18 and down syndrome risks for this baby. Rewind a bit to last week when I got my results back from the blood work taken at my sequential screening. Both tests came back in the normal range, but I just had to know the ratios. My trisomy 18 risk ratio was 1:10,000. My down syndrome ratio came back at 1:255. I've been stressed about the downs risks and my meeting with Amy has put my mind at ease a bit. At first I stressed out because she said my downs test came back positive.What she meant was that for my age my ratio should be 1:600 or so and since mine came back a bit higher then that my test is considered positive. However the perinatologist who did the tesing says it was normal. Who to believe, I don't know. But Amy said something quite reassuring. She said that my chances for having a downs baby are only like one quarter of a percent. In all actuality my chances of having a baby with some other defect are probably higher. I'm just not a big fan of statistics and ratios after the last pregnancy and every statistic scares the crap out of me! So after calming me down a bit we chatted about my colposcopy. I've decided to at least meet with Dr. Troy to be checked out. Then finally was the moment I had so anxiously been waiting for. We kicked the kids off of the examination table and I hopped up. It was time to check for a heartbeat. After maybe a minute or two tops, she found it. Nice and low and beating away. I have to say it was a tense minute or two waiting to hear it but I was so relieved when we did. From this point on when I get really worried about the baby I know I can always have a heartbeat check done. Oh, what a beautiful sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment