Monday, August 29, 2011

Who ticked off Mother Nature?














So in one weeks time we've experienced/lived thru one earthquake of 5.9 magnitude, several tornado warnings, and one category 1 hurricane named Irene. I can't help but think that Mother Nature is trying to tell us something. Pennsylvania never has any of these things! Thursday night I started taking all of this hurricane talk a bit more serious. I talked with Burt and we decided we'd stock up on a few things. Friday I took my sister and the kids out. We bought a few flashlights, candles, snacks, non-perishables, water and juice. We brought in all the kid's outdoor toys and brought up any totes of importance from the basement. As far as I was concerned we'd be good to go if the power did go out for any period of time. Saturday night came and so did the wind and rain. We pretty much stayed glued to the TV watching the news. The kids entertained themselves with a new box of dominos, cards, and lots of jumping on Mommy and Daddy's mattress. Around 10pm we heard that dreadful sound come across the TV. There was a tornado warning for Delaware County. We quickly gathered up a few things and all headed down the basement. The winds were roaring by this time and everyone was on edge. Alexa was tired and cranky. She most definitely did not want to be cooped up on that couch. Soon the time had expired and we headed back upstairs. No sooner did we hit the top of the stairs that we heard the warning again and turned right back around. This was getting serious. Abby was an emotional wreck by this point. She turned to me with tears running down her face and said, "I just want to grow up". Poor baby! I comforted her and soon she laid her head on me and tried to sleep a bit. I reassured her that I'd wake her up if anything happened. Finally 11pm hit and we again headed upstairs. This time we pulled the mattresses down from upstairs and tried to settle the kids. We laid Alexa in her pack and play and the kids on the mattresses on the floor. If we all were going to survive this night they needed to get some sleep. Alexa of course fought her sleep until I finally laid down in bed with her. We both passed right out. I woke up several times thru the night just to see the weather updates. Burt stayed up pretty late. By the morning the winds had died down and we were left with a huge puddle in our backyard and minimal flooding in the basement. I most certainly counted my blessings in the morning. This was an experience that I could do without ever experiencing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment