Thursday, June 16, 2011

It has happened

No matter how hard I kicked and screamed she did it. No matter how many tears I shed, she did it. Today my baby turned one year old. She started her day out just as smiley as other days. Abby, Nathan and I sang her happy birthday while she was in her crib. Her face lit up and she danced along. One thing was very different about this day though. I had a secret that I was just bursting to tell. Before I went in to get the birthday girl this morning I took a pregnancy test. A digital one to be exact. It was one I had left over from when I found out I was pregnant with Alexa. As soon as I took the test it came up positive. We were expecting another baby. What better birthday present is there to give Alexa? We continued on with our morning. Breakfast. Getting dressed. When Daddy came home from running an errand I had Alexa walk up to him holding the pregnancy test. He proceeded to sing the entire Happy Birthday song and never noticed the test. I finally said to Alexa "I guess Daddy's not very observant today". He turned to look one more time and said "You're pregnant?" I of course said "Yes". One oops and there we were...PREGNANT. How did this happen after so many months of trying and so much disappointment before? I of course feel completely blessed. Blessed and shocked. We had planned on ttc in June or July right after Alexa turned one. The problem is the past few months I have been very flip floppy on whether or not I really wanted to start trying. I've started to feel a bit overwhelmed with all that is already on my plate. Apparently God has other plans and he reminds me that HE is in charge. We continued about our day with the birthday girl. We went to Toys R Us where she got a birthday balloon and a birthday crown. We picked up her birthday present ( a parent push trike) and a few other things. Then we stopped at Carter's to buy a "Big Sister" shirt for a later surprise and headed off to the park. She loved swinging in the swings and riding on the seesaw. Then we went home and she went down for a nap. Abby and I went to Walmart to pick up some prenatal vitamins and another pack of HPT's just in case the last one was expired. Sure enough I took it and the test line showed up instantly. Mom Mom, Matt, Amanda, Juan, Uncle Frankie and Devon all stopped over for cake. We had a blast watching Alexa make a mess of herself. At first she refused to touch the icing. Burt even pushed a small section of the cake into her face/mouth and she just sat there motionless. Eventually a small dollop of icing made it's way into her mouth. One taste and she was game! We all watched her make a huge mess. After getting her cleaned up Burt and I gave her a present. It was the big sister shirt I bought earlier. Once she got it unwrapped Burt held up the t-shirt. Everyone looked. And looked. And looked until eventually I said "Amanda, what does it say?". She answered. And they still didn't get it. I finally had to say "What does it mean if Alexa is going to be a big sister?" Then the lightbulbs went off. The excitement level was not the same as it was when we announced our pregnancy with Alexa. But we're excited. Abby and Nathan talked about it all day...almost as much as they talked about the birthday girl. This was definately an exciting day and will go down in the books as a fantastic first birthday. The birthday girl got lots of kisses and lots of cuddles. We had tons of laughs and many smiles. Happy Birthday Alexa Lynn! You are amazing and I couldn't love you even a drop more.

No comments:

Post a Comment